Is the knee pain killing you while walking? It’s always very painful to survive with a hurt knee. But you don’t have to suffer anymore, here is some reliable exercise from Robin McKenzie which will help you to get rid of knee pain.
Robin McKenzie is one of the popular Physiotherapist from New Zealand. He is well known for the invention of diagnostic treatment system which is widely used in the case of back pain. This 8 exercise are going to provide you a pain-free movement of your legs in a small amount of time.
Exercise 1: Active Sitting Knee Extension
The exercise leads to the contract of thighs and extension of the leg. Here is the process for you
- Be seated in a chair and keep your feet flat on the ground.
- Now, slowly lift your foot in which you experience the keen pain.
- Later, straighten your leg till the point where you feel contract in thighs.
- Hold the position for 2 seconds and come back to the normal position.
- Repeat the process 10 times to get rid of knee pain.
Exercise 2: Sitting Knee Extension in with Support
This exercise is a normal sitting extension in which you use another supportive tool The process is given below
- Be seated in a chair and place the heel of the knee in which you experience pain on another stool of the same height.
- Keep your knee slightly bend whereas the toes should be pointing up.
- Straighten your leg slowly while keeping the knee in a relaxed position.
- Hold this position for 2 seconds and then come back to the initial position.
- Repeat the process 10 times to treat knee pain.
- Later come forward and put both your hands above your knee.
- Slowly try to push down and straighten the knees using your hands till the point you experience stretch behind your knees.
- You have to hold this position for 2 seconds and repeat it 10 times.
Exercise 3: Knee Extension while Standing
This is a standing extension which provides proper stretch to the painful knee. Follow the given steps to perform the exercise.
- First stand straight and keep the heel of the leg with knee pain on a low stool.
- Now reach forward your hands and place than above the knee.
- Push down the body slowly and straighten knees using your hands till the time you feel a stretch in the knee.
- Now, hold this position for 2 seconds and come back to the initial position.
- Repeat this exercise 10 times to get rid of the painful knee.
Exercise 4: Knee Bending while Sitting
It is a flexion exercise for knee which you can perform by sitting in a chair. Below are the steps you have to follow for this exercise.
- Start the exercise by sitting on a chair.
- Now, bend your knee and place your hands on your ankle.
- Pull the leg using your hand towards the chest area.
- Now, pull the heel towards buttocks and be in the position for 2 seconds.
- Get back to the initial position, later repeat the exercise 10 times to treat the painful knee at home.
Exercise 5: Knee Bending while Standing
You have to perform this exercise while standing upright. Know how to perform this exercise using given quick steps
- Place the heel of the painful knee on a stool while you stand upright.
- You can hold the chair in order to maintain the balance of your body.
- Now, lean your body forward and try to push the buttock towards the heel.
- Continue the push until your experience a knee stretch. Here hold the position for 2 seconds.
- Perform this exercise 10 times to get relief from the painful keen.
Note- You can also roll a towel behind your knee to avoid the discomfort while performing the exercise.
Exercise 6: Knee Bending in Kneeling
Kneeling is always a preferable exercise to get relief from the knee pain. Here are the steps for you to perform this exercise.
- Keep cushion under your knees which will provide you support.
- Now do kneel on all fours with your hands on the ground in front of you.
- Slowly kneel on your heels and perform it till you feel a stretch in knees.
- Hold for 2 seconds and repeat the process 6-10 times.
- Later, again do the stretching while lifting your hands this time off the floor. Maintain a seating position while performing this bit.
- Hold the position for 2 seconds and get back to the initial steps. Do this 10 times to reduce the knee pain.
Exercise 7: Strengthening Knee while Standing and Chair Squat while Holding Door Knob
You have to perform this exercise in front of an open door so that you can hold the door knobs. The steps for the exercise are given below
- Keep your feet shoulder width apart from each other while you stand upright.
- Now place a chair behind you and hold the door knobs of an open door in front of you.
- Now, try to sit back on the chair behind you till the time you experience tension in the muscles of knees.
- Do this process 10-15 times at least 2 times a day to get relief from the pain in the knee.
Note- Here while you try to seat on a chair, just stretch your body until your buttocks just touch the chair. Proper seating while doing this exercise is not recommended.
Exercise 8: One-Legged Knee Bend and Knee Strengthening while Standing
One leg knee bends focus on the painful knee and stretch the painful muscles. Perform the exercise using below steps
- Use a chair for support and stand upright, place your painful leg along the edge of a step.
- Now, bend the leg with the knee pain and your leg with no pain will be lowered down the level of step.
- Do this until you feel a stretch in your knee muscles.
- Continue the lowering phase for 3-5 seconds.
- Here the center of your knee should be pointing forward.
- Hold the position for 2 seconds and repeat it 10-15 times at least two times a day.
Here you go! You are on right track to treat the knee pain in no time.
This exercise should be performed regularly to get relief from the knee pain. The exercise also helps to keep your walking performance well grounded. The regular use of this sequential exercise ensure the healthy knees and leg muscles. Try it today!