We all feel that laptops, computers and remote control are the most useful inventions which have made our life heaven. Indeed, the electronic devices are practically allowing us to get maximum comfort. But do you know that this comfort is actually killing us? It’s shocking but true.
As per the recent study if you want to increase your life expectancy then you should avoid sitting for a longer period of time. The comfortable sitting actually makes your body go in storage mode which in turn reduces the electrical activities of our muscles.
Here are 10 Prime Reasons Why Sitting Kills
1. Sitting for a longer time can create chronic diseases. As per the recent study conducted in Australia, it is realised that sitting for long hours can directly increase the risk of development of chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
2. Sitting actually increases the risk of premature death. The American Journal of Epidemiology has published the study which states that women who have a sitting habit of 6 hours or more in a day have 40% risk to die in next 13 years of the period as compared to one who sat only for 3 hours every day. In the case of men, the risk of death is 18% more for one who sat for more than 6 hours every day.
3. Sitting, in fact, increases the risk of thrombosis. The prolonged sitting action can lead to the formation of blood clots which can obstruct the blood flow.
4. Sitting is surprisingly linked with cancers. An epidemiologist, Christine Friedenreich at Alberta Health Services-Cancer Care located at Canada, stated that physical inactivity is directly linked to around 49,000 breast cancer cases and 43,000 colon cancer cases a year in the U. S.
6. Sitting can lead to weight gain. Around 50% of more fat is generated when you put pressure on the bottom or certain body parts than in the usual case.
7. Sitting is closely related to diabetes. Sitting for a longer period has a negative impact on insulin resistance as well as inflammation which can lead to diabetes.
7. Sitting can give you cardiovascular problems. A study published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise and covered in Men’s Health indicate that people who sit for a maximum time in a day are 54% more likely to get death due to heart trouble.
8. Sitting is too bad for back. Our back is under a lot of pressure when we sit as it takes on the weight of the top body on it. This uneven distribution of weight and build up pressure can lead to long-term back pain problems.
9. Sitting can lead to metabolic syndrome and obesity. Sitting increases LDL cholesterol, plasma triglycerides and insulin resistance. Thus, the sugar level of your blood goes high as muscles are unable to absorb fat which makes you gain weight.The physical inactivity actually changes the metabolism of our body and leads to obesity.
10. Do you become scared of siting now? You don’t have to be scared but should be aware of the adverse impact of sitting for a longer time on your health. As 5 minutes walks after every 2-3 hours of sitting is recommended to avoid the potential health risk.
You can also try to provide body movement by doing household work. Try to stand up at least 2 times every hour, try squat jumping or normal walk every day. As per Dr. Vernikos, squatting and standing is the best way to fight against the gravity force and keep your body fit.