We often tend to store almost all the food items in the refrigerator. Every one of us has a tendency to store things in the refrigerator which we want to preserve for a longer time. It is a belief that anything we keep in the refrigerator does not go bad. But it is time to change your thoughts related to refrigeration and know 15 things that should not be refrigerated.
There are certain food items, a flavour which changes their texture when stored in the refrigerator. Among the list of these 15 things which you should never store in the refrigerator, some can even get spoil faster when you store them in the refrigerator.
Check out the list of items storing which in a refrigerator is not a good idea.
1. Tomatoes– You might feel that tomatoes look fresh when stored in the refrigerator. So, you should always go for it. But actually, it is not good to store tomatoes in the refrigerator. As per the university of Florida- the flavour of tomatoes is a result of interaction between acids, sugars and multiple volatile compounds. When the tomatoes are stored in refrigerator these compounds fall below the odor threshold. This reaction changes the flavour and texture of tomatoes.
2. Honey– When you use honey on your bread or consume it with water you might observed that it is very much free flowing. Well, if you store honey in the fridge it will crystallize and become thick very fast. Thus, it is suggested to store honey at room temperature.
3. Garlic– There are two reasons why you should not store garlic in the refrigerator. It will sprout and grow mold on it. Also, if you kept garlic open in your fridge then your refrigerator will start smelling really bad.
4. Coffee– Many people store coffee in the fridge to avoid lump formation in it. But, you are actually losing the bold flavour of your coffee when stored in the refrigerator. It also makes your fridge odor bad.
5. Bread– It is good to consume bread when it is fresh. The old bread catches odor quickly. When stored in the fridge the bread will get dry and hard. If you still want to store the bread in the fridge then, at least, wrap it in a paper bag and cover it with cloth towel to retain moisture in it.